The Editors Canada national job board carries notices of full-time, part-time and freelance opportunities to members across the country.
Get notifications about new job board posts
EDITORS CANADA MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE: Job notices are sent to Editors Canada by external clients and employers. Editors Canada does not vet the organizations or individuals who submit notices for the job board, nor does the association endorse this information.
It is the interested member’s responsibility to investigate this information further.
- Editors Canada members considering these jobs should evaluate each posting thoroughly and obtain a written contract before commencing any work.
- The Editors Canada Agreement Template for Editing Services is available for download.
If you experience any of the following suspicious practices, email the secretary so that the national executive council can advise on whether the post should be removed:
- sending single chapters or sections to multiple editors to sample edit
- asking for excessively large sample edits
- asking the editor to pay a fee to be considered for the job
- refusing to sign a contract
- asking for payment considerations other than money, such as a share of future sales or profits
- asking for unusual payment methods
Manager, Editorial and Research Services (Published February 13)
We are seeking an experienced editorial manager to provide singular oversight of editorial service delivery for multiple brands. This senior position will lead teams delivering sub-categories of editorial services and oversee a segmented matrix of resources, ensuring we fulfill our core promise of delivering top-tier quality to our clients while coaching and developing an expert editorial staff located around the world. If you’re an enthusiastic, seasoned editorial manager ready to lead a team of editors in a growing editorial group, we want to hear from you!
WHO YOU ARE
A degree in English, communications, STEM, or a related field
Meaningful experience directing editorial departments and/or academic research initiatives
Strong knowledge of editorial processes and best practices
Keen attention to detail and good organizational skills
Demonstrated ability to lead people using effective communication
Solid understanding of the academic publishing industry and the research process
Ability to take the initiative to continuously improve the editorial services function
Ability to work flexible hours to lead teams in North America and Asia
Experience working at a journal or a publishing or author services company
A master’s degree or PhD in one of the STEM fields
Located in and authorized to work in Canada
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Direct the daily activities of the editorial and research services (RS) departments to optimize scheduling, meet customer demands,
and maximize utilization of resources
Be the final escalation point for issues related to orders, processes, and workflow management
Ensure the editorial quality management system and quality-assurance process is consistent, objective, accurate, and fair to both
editors and customers
Coach, train, and evaluate in-house team members through quarterly performance check-ins and annual performance reviews
Select and onboard new hires for the editorial and RS teams
Drive continuous improvement of the editorial and RS departments to boost customer satisfaction
Refine existing editorial and RS services and develop new ones as needed
Ensure the scalability and efficiency of all editorial and RS systems via automation and the implementation of new technology,
Create and maintain comprehensive and effective internal resources, processes, and SOPs
Monitor and derive insight from key KPIs to address gaps or opportunities for improvement
Provide meaningful input and guidance to senior leadership on resource needs and development
WHY YOU WANT TO WORK WITH US
A dynamic corporate culture founded on flexibility and continual learning, including paid training
Competitive wages and comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits (as well as a wellness benefit)
A quarterly bonus plan to share company profit
A flexible schedule working from our office in Chatham, ON or remotely from anywhere within Canada
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Founded in 1997, Scribendi is a pioneering internet-based language company that offers document revision services to clients in all sectors, including business, academia, and publishing. For 25 years, we have cultivated our reputation as a leader in the editing and proofreading industry. In 2018, Scribendi launched Scribendi.ai, our AI and machine-learning arm, which creates tools to improve our customer experience and enhance the skills of human editors. In 2023, Scribendi was acquired by the Japanese corporation M3, Inc. via its subsidiary Edanz. Edanz was established in Japan in 1995 and has helped thousands of researchers all over the world successfully publish in international journals. With their team of expert editors and research consultants, they are a globally leading company providing English editing services for research papers. Edanz caters to clients in over 120 countries, mainly academics as well as pharmaceutical companies and hospitals, and they are highly regarded in the research community.
How to apply: Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter detailing your experience in relation to the above-stated job requirements as well as your resume and salary expectations. Scribendi is committed to equal-opportunity employment. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know.
Application deadline: Until filled.
Editorial Director (Published February 5)
Opera Canada magazine has been connecting the vibrant world of opera in Canada since 1960 with high quality professional arts journalism, in-depth interviews with its creators, artists and decision-makers as well as beautifully-illustrated features and reviews about productions from across the nation and internationally. Opera Canada offers a comprehensive review of opera in Canada and of Canadians working in the opera world at large. In addition to our quarterly full-colour publication we deliver all the latest opera news through our website and on our active social media channels.
In 2000 Opera Canada introduced the Opera Canada Awards, nicknamed “The Rubies,” in honour of founding Editor, Ruby Mercer. This gala evening celebrates the talent and accomplishments of Canadians who have made a significant contribution to the opera world as artists, builders, administrators and philanthropists. Our vision is to continue to be the voice of all opera in Canada, and of Canadians working in opera throughout the world, as we move into our next 50 years promoting Canadian opera and opera professionals. We aim to inform, educate, and celebrate Canadian opera in all its facets.
Opera Canada, a registered Canadian charity, is the oldest, continuously published arts periodical in Canada and is available quarterly by subscription and on select newsstands.
We believe this is an exciting time to join Opera Canada.
● This role will report to a Board of Directors; the Editorial Director is responsible for overseeing the administration and editorial direction of Opera Canada print, digital and social media content.
● Working closely with the Board of Directors, the Editorial Director will ensure an efficient operation that will effectively meet the annual organizational and financial goals of the corporation.
● The Editorial Director will be the primary contact for Opera Canada and interface with public and private funding bodies, members of the opera field at large, and the public.
● The Editorial Director will also ensure that all staff members are aligned with the vision of the corporation, and work with them to successfully achieve strategic priorities.
● Staffing includes a Circulation & Marketing Manager, a Digital Content Specialist, a Development Officer, and writers.
● Knowledge of Opera as an art form and the sector in Canada
● Demonstrated passion for the arts
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with internal and external stakeholders, funding bodies and industry representatives
● Organizational skills to balance the publication demands, digital projects and management requirements
● Publishing / writing / editing / media experience or comparable with strong attention to detail
● Management experience for a small staff and contractors
● Digital marketing and social media expertise
● Financial experience managing organizational budgets
● Creative problem-solving and strategic planning skills to respond to the publishing, media and arts sectors
Responsibilities and Duties – Editor
● Responsible for the full production of Opera Canada magazine, to be published
four times a year in April, June, September, and December.
● Act as public representative for Opera Canada in the matters of advocacy and
● Working in partnership with the Board of Directors, the Editorial Director will develop and implement an operational plan that meets the business goals and objectives of the corporation.
● Proactively address challenges in the internal and external environment that
require good judgement and decision making practices.
● The Editorial Director is an ex officio member of each committee and as such is invited to attend all meetings.
Responsibilities and Duties – Director
● Manage 2+ staff members and contractors
● Responsible for keeping the website and social media current and up to date.
● Responsible for general administration and management of Opera Canada publications.
● Working with Board committees and senior staff, the Editorial Director will be
responsible for creating an annual operating budget that will be presented to the Board for approval.
● Responsible for all reports that must be submitted for Board review
● Accountable for all applications and reports to government funders
● Ensure commitment and compliance to all applicable laws and regulations across
● With the assistance of invited Board members, an annual performance review
will be completed with the Editorial Director, by the Board Chair.
● In addition to reviewing past performance, future goals and objectives will be
● A written copy of the Performance Review will be signed by the Board Chair and Editorial Director, and placed on file.
● The Role is remote
● Editorial Director will need to be present for key events, such as the Opera Canada awards (“The Rubies”) in Toronto and other events as needed
● This is a contract position, and requires the submission of a monthly invoice
● The salary range is between $65,000-$70,000 CND per annum, depending on experience.
For additional information, see: www.operacanada.ca, www.genovesevanderhoof.com
Opera Canada is committed to having a workforce that is reflective of the diversity in Canada and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals, especially those who can contribute different perspectives and diverse ideas. Opera Canada is committed to providing accommodations for disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian
immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest, a resume, and a list of
references in confidence to:
GENOVESE, VANDERHOOF & ASSOCIATES
1103-77 Carlton Street
Toronto, ON M5B 2J7
Application deadline: Friday, March 22, 2024
Freelance Editors (Published January 31)
The Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA) changes lives by bringing people and knowledge together to reduce the harms of alcohol and other drugs on society. We partner with public, private and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to improve the health and safety of Canadians. An NGO with a national focus, CCSA envisions a healthier Canadian society where evidence transforms approaches to substance use.
CCSA acknowledges that the First Peoples are the holders of Traditional Knowledge. We respect the power of the Indigenous ways of knowing and of Traditional Knowledge and commit to learning about and incorporating this knowledge into our work with proper guidance.
The Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) team is currently building a roster of freelance English-language editors to help with its workload as needed.
· Complete stylistic editing, copy editing and proofreading for all organizational materials, including publications, PowerPoint presentations, Excel spreadsheets, promotional materials and web pages
· Apply the appropriate level of editing as negotiated with the CCSA editorial team
· Recommend appropriate terminology in all written documents during stylistic and copy editing, including recommending improvements based on plain language principles
· Ensure coherence, consistency and standardization of CCSA’s corporate identity and branding for all written communications during proofreading and document formatting
· Adhere to CCSA’s Style Guidelines and apply The Canadian Press Stylebook, Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association and other standard writing and presentation guidelines
· Postsecondary education in journalism, communication, English or equivalent
· Minimum of five years’ years of experience editing research, corporate reports or both
· Knowledge of stylistic editing, copy editing, proofreading and plain language
· Experience working with subject-matter experts and applying plain-language principles to improve the readability of scientific and academic reports
CCSA promotes the rights of all people with disabilities as outlined in the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and its related Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation.
How to apply: If you are interested in joining our roster of freelance English-language editors, please email your resumé and rate card to the PAC team at email@example.com. The CCSA office is in Ottawa. Qualified candidates outside of the Ottawa region are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: Ongoing until March 1, 2024.
Science Editors Needed! – Research Journals (Remote)
Remote Copyeditors Needed – MPS North America LLC continues ongoing recruitment of experienced copyeditors with scientific backgrounds (at least a bachelor of science degree in a scientific discipline). Our current need is for Physical Sciences copyeditors, though editors from all scientific backgrounds are welcome to apply. MPS is an international leader in editorial and publishing services, managing a talented group of freelancers copyediting peer-reviewed journal articles to style for major STEM journal publishers. NOTE: Prior copyediting experience is REQUIRED to apply for this position. This is a remote freelance position.
- BS degree or higher in scientific disciplines such as Geology, Physics, Chemistry, Ecology, Botany, Agronomy, Soil Science, Biology, Medicine, and any other natural/physical science
- Prior research journal copyediting experience
- Fluent English speakers with exceptional grasp of style, grammar, and language skills
- Computer literate
- Superb attention to detail
- Additional copyediting experience / qualifications
- Experience editing in web-based editing platforms
- Postgraduate scientific qualifications
How to Apply: Candidates must complete and pass a challenging copyediting test. Successful applicants will receive subsequent software and style training. Please email your resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your specific fields of scientific experience/expertise, and how you heard about this position.
Remote Book Editor
Who we are:
Reedsy is a community of over 1,000,000 authors and freelance publishing professionals, creating high-quality and beautiful books. We help authors to find and work with the top professionals in the industry: from editors to designers, marketers, and translators.
What we’re looking for:
This is a freelance opportunity.
We are seeking talented editors to join our fast-growing community of the industry’s top publishing professionals. Reedsy’s vetted group of freelancers have worked on a range of widely acclaimed novels such as The Hunger Games, Originals (Adam grant), and His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman) series. There are hundreds of authors currently looking for an editor on Reedsy. Reedsy allows you to pick which genres you’d like to edit so you only receive projects in your area of interest. Once your application has been approved, you will be among the industry’s top 1% of talent.
The minimum requirements we look for are as followed:
- have 3+ years of editing experience
- experience working with traditional publishers
- demonstrate experience on at least 5 published books that are well-reviewed (and available on Amazon or Google Books)
How to apply: